You can take the sharpest knife
and slice with all your might.
You can take a gun and shoot it
and hope your aim is right.
But nothing can hurt or cause more pain
than simple words when spoken,
with hateful heart and vengeful tongue;
tender hearts can be broken.
Time and time again I've heard
gossip, vile and ugly.
Spewed about to ruin the name
and character of somebody.
"They did me wrong, and so they'll pay,
I'll see to it myself.
I may have to stretch the story a bit,
but I'll do it with great stealth."
Lies are spread, feelings hurt
and reputation ruined.
All eyes are turned accusingly,
"Just what have you been doing?"
Doesn't matter that there are two sides
to each and every story.
They hear what they want to hear,
anything less might be too boring.
Words can be the fiercest daggers
when gossip enters in.
The truth is simple though, you know;
in that case, no one wins.
The gossiper condemns themselves
with every word they utter;
stooping low to cut and hurt,
they, end up in the gutter.
Janet Graham
January 2010
No comments:
Post a Comment